Monday, April 9, 2012

04/07/2012 - NJ Trout Season Opener

Well I headed up to the Musky to the same spot I've fished for the last few years for the trout opener.
The morning felt perfect, greeted by sunny skies and a cool 32 degrees...the day ahead looked promising!

Let's check out some pics of the fish caught throughout the day...

River is low, really low! You can see the normal water line, up a couple feet from there!





Small crowd at the first spot, not too bad...



My first fish, a sucker...not a good sign if this spots been stocked well with trout :)



My second fish...also not a good sign...





Switched spots and landed my first trout of 2012!



And a bunch more throughout the morning...









Nice big rainbow was in the mix!





Back to more brookies...







































Then I switched up to the fly rod as the trout were rising like crazy all day and I couldn't take not trying a dry fly any longer!
Good decision as they were hungry for the Elk Hair Caddis!






One of two browns I caught on the day, cool colors and pattern!






Even managed to land a nice big rainbow on the flyrod too!  Awesome!!!



Not much left of that Elk Hair Caddis by the time I had to leave, good day!




Well, the day was nothing short of awesome!  Things started off slow, but finished strong as I switched spots and got into some better fishing...landing 32 trout on the spinning gear with bait and another 29 with the fly rod fishing dry flies...and having the trifecta of brookies, rainbows, and browns!  Called it a day and headed up to PA to spend time with the family for the rest of the weekend.  Great food, great company, and a ton of fun playing pool, darts, horseshoes, poker, Jenga and even a little beer pong!  Perfect weekend! ;)

No comments: