Sunday, April 28, 2013

04/28/2013 - Trout Fishing Musconetcong River


Well I took a drive up to the Musconetcong River to wet a line and shake off the fly fishing rust.  It was another beautiful day, just like yesterday.
I hit a familiar stretch of water and headed upstream to get away from the commonly pressured area.
I wish I could say my fly fishing prowess reigned supreme, but I honestly whiffed at least 2 dozen hooksets on fish somehow, while the rocks and submerged debris claimed at least 5 or 6 nymphs in the process.
I did manage to land a medley of fish today included a sucker (on a worm/egg pattern!), two sunfish, and about half a dozen trout.

Most came in the stretch where I ended my evening determined to land the rising trout on a dry (barely what I'd consider successful given the number of rises and misses I had haha)...going through just about every one in my box.
Still not sure what they were sipping on, best I could tell it looked like a brown winged, green bodied caddis around size 16...but I didn't get a look when I floated a similar elk hair caddis down the river.
They toyed with me for the better half of 2+ hours, coming up and nosing my flies, surging at them but whiffing, checking them out and diving back down!
I was up and down sizing flies, down sizing tippet, trying everything I could think...it was maddening but very fun, and just great to break out the fly rod again!

Here's a few shots from today!

The stretch where I started...


And a few of the fish I caught along the way...

















Well that's it for today's pictures.  I'll be headed down to North Carolina this week to meet up with some friends and do a little golfing and fly fishing down there...can't wait!

No comments: