Thursday, June 7, 2007

06/07/2007 - Fluking on the Angler with MS22


06/07/2007 - Fluking on the Angler with MS22

OK, this will be a quick report because I was lazy and didn't take nearly enough pictures to keep it entertaining!

I decided work sucks, so I took a day off to meet up with Mike (MS22) and do some fluking off the Angler in Atlantic Highlands. Weather looked promising with cooler than normal temps, but light winds out of the S/SW. Factor in the Angler put up triple digit keeper numbers the day before and we were pumped for some action!

This was my first time riding the Angler and probably only my 4th or 5th time fishing the Raritan Bay, as most of my fishing has been in Belmar, Point, and Brielle over the years...but some new friends have showed me what I'm missing up there!

Anyway, the Angler is a really nice boat, wide walkways, plenty of room, some nice additional rod holders in the bow, full galley, helpful mates and a captain who loves fluking!

OK, lets get into some pics of the day...

My first time on the Angler, so my obligatory googan/tourist boat sign picture...



The regs discussing strategy in the bow pulpit.
I was looking forward to seeing the man Archie put on a clinic.



Here's Brian, coming around collecting fares. I was slacking with the camera and didn't get any pics of Christine helping on deck.



A few scenic shots on the way out...perfect weather, beautiful day.







Mike, on the scene...



Mike, tangling up his neighbor...GOOG!!! Haha



Mike putting the hook to one...



Fluke in the water!!!



Wait, I lied...I have a back of the head shot of Christine running around with the net with a few of my right side neighbors. Mates were very good with the net, always ready!



Mike, fighting another one...Brian right on top of things with the net...



Ah, just a lifter...



Not much boat traffic out and about...good luck this weekend, it'll be paved for the JCAA tourney!



With that incoming tide's cooler water and Southeast winds...the air got a bit chilly.
Here's Mike switching over to some light rod bucktailing...fish on!!!



And over the rail!



I failed to get any final fish shots (I suck), but here's Mike's bag-o-fillets from his 2 keepers.




Overall, the fishing was tough, some slow spells but a reasonable pick going on throughout the day. The morning started off great, I had 2 keepers in the cooler in the first two drifts but then the tide went from slack to incoming, and the S/SE wind and tide cumulatively made it too fast of a drift so the captain opted to move into the Reach.

The Reach was a much slower bite, but there were some fish there...I think I was able to pick up another keeper there. We rolled through the Reach a few times before heading over to the Ammo Pier for the remainder of the day. Some fair action, again just a random pick of fish with a lot of sea robins mixed in. I swear Arnie had a double header bucktailing, one of which might have been the fattest sea robin I've ever see...thing was like 2lbs+...fat mama!

Pool was close with Arnie leading the way until the last couple drifts when another known regular (Mike?) caught one just a bit bigger. No super big fish today, and overall some oddly thin fluke, but still plenty of fillet on em!

In the end, I wound up with 5 keepers and maybe about 7 or 8 shorts. Mike had a rough time, but probably average for most other anglers landing 2 keepers and a probably the same are of 7 or 8 shorts. Neither of us landed anything big, just basic keepers.

Kudos to my man Craig (Scrubby) for tying up those teasers! They landed 3 of my keepers! Have some ideas for a few more variations, but this trip proved they work quite well! Seemed like both bucktails and straight bait worked equally well, with fluoro green being the hotter color on the day.

Big thanks to Captain George and mates Christine and Brian for having us out...great crew all around! You couldn't ask for a better day weather wise, although we're not sure what shut the fishing down...could have been the south winds, or maybe we just couldn't find that dynamite pod of fish to roll over time and time again. Either way, I'll be back for some more action on the Angler, definitely an awesome time and MUCH better than going to work!

Until next time...


No comments: