Sunday, June 10, 2007

06/10/2007 - Fluking Captain Cal II



06/10/2007 - Fluking Captain Cal II

OK, short report because I was tired and lazy on Sunday's trip!

I decided to head back on the Cal because I had won 1/2 fare ticket for the first keeper the day before, and because those Cal guys are good fun to fish with!

With the calmer weather rolling in, I thought it was going to be quite good, knowing the captain would head to the same general area as the day before and although the area was getting beat on from the JCAA tourney, I figured some new fish would move in overnight, in conjunction with the fish we all never get...it should still hold a few good flatties.

Well the conditions couldn't be better...for bucktailing! Easterly light winds...calm, slow drift...perfect! Unfortunately the bite was nowhere near what it was the day before, fishing was quite a bite slower but there were some keepers to be found. I fished up in the bow with a gentleman I met at the boat nicknamed "Buck", and the infamous Barry to my left. The day started off good for me, picking up a keeper on the first drift and almost grabbing another 1/2 fare but I got beat out by 30 seconds or so. Then I went keeper retarded (standard for me), and was only hooking shorts for the next 10 fish or so. Buck was struggling, missing a bunch of hits, while Barry was beating on the shorties. Barry eventually landed his first and second keeper, then I picked up my second, Barry his third, then he lost his fourth at the boat...and as the day wound down...I lost one keeper at the boat spitting the hook right before the net got pulled (called for it only when I saw him) and the same thing happened again with a bigger fish on the next cast, nice keeper...net just hit the water when he shook, spit and dove...ARGH! Then Barry landed another one making four for him, and I too landed my third keeper...and Buck finally pulled through and grabbed his first keeper on the second to last drift.

In the end, I wound up with 3 keepers in the boat and 2 lost at the boat with a fair number of shorts (15-20)...Barry wound up with 4 and lost another at the boat and had a ton of shorts on Gulp (25-30?), and Buck wound up with 1 keeper and just a handful of shorts. I sometimes get caught up in conversation and totally forget about taking end of day pics (hard to believe, but it happens)...so I didn't get any of my final catch...all just keeper size in the 17-18.5" range or so.

A few big fish, 3 in particular a lady caught on her FIRST fluking trip ever! Talk about Lady Luck, nice job! The guys all around her were like WTFFFFFFFFFF, this is ridiculous...I thought it was awesome and unbelievable as she bailed those big boys! I think one went around 5+ lbs, and another in the 3-4lb range...then there was another nice 4lber or so...and NONE of them were in the pool! Whoops! I think the poolfish was only around 3lbs or so.

Here's a few pics on the day...

Starboard side on the way out...pretty railed



Port side on the way out...a few gaps, but definitely more people than yesterday.



Barry, with his super special rod with manual fabrication (aka duct tape). I was so hoping he'd catch a whopper on that rod...talk about hilarious...the freakin reel was shifting around as he was jigging...haha!



Barry with an interesting fish on the day...dark and a half-n-half on the white side.



That's all folks!

No comments: